Wednesday 29 April 2015

Streetview Cleaner bookmarklet

Update: There's a newer version that also cleans Maps.

Original Post:

A few days ago I discussed a method to remove clutter from Streetview using your browser developer tools. It wasn't a very difficult process, but if you don't use it regularly it will be one of those things you'll always need to mess around with to get it working right every time. Today I stumbled across a link in the Maps help forum that led me to an interesting post by a guy named Alex Chan. A couple years ago he created a bookmarklet that hid some of the content on Google Maps. Long story short, I took inspiration from his code, mangled it up a bit, found help on Stack Overflow on how to un-mangle it, and made a bookmarklet to Clean Streetview.

If you are using a modern browser (I tested FF and Chrome), all you need to do is copy the link below to your bookmarks by dragging it over to your bookmarks bar, and when you click on it the clutter on Streetview will go away (or come back if it's already gone).


Hopefully you'll find this a useful tool.

5 comments:

  1. A big thanks for creating this tool.I enjoyed using it but unfortunately it is not working any more. Till few days back it stopped cleaning the navigation area on the bottom right and the inset on the bottom left. Today it is not cleaning anything. Am I missing anything? I tested it on Chrome and Opera Beta in Windows 10.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's the same.
    Tested with Chrome and FireFox V.40 under Win 8.1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heinrich, please see the CleanMap version from my other post, I just make corrections to it. Google sometimes changes the names around and it breaks the script, so I'll only be updating the CleanMap one from now on, since it does everything that this script did and more.

      Delete
    2. Yes!
      Thank you very much, Dave: it works!

      Delete
  3. Thanks very much. It does what it says. Superb.
    > The Cleanmap version from my other post
    is at
    http://dddavemaps.blogspot.jp/2015/05/cleanmap-bookmarklet.html
    And that is superb too.

    ReplyDelete